Kids Ride Free Card
The Kids Ride Free Program
The Kids Ride Free program allows students enrolled in DC private/parochial schools, DC Public Schools, and DC Charter Schools to receive a KRF SmarTrip card for free travel to and from school and school-related activities within the District of Columbia, using public transportation.
Kids Ride Free Distribution for SY 2022-23 will begin on August 15, 2022.
KRF SY 21-22 cards will be valid through September 30, 2022.
To participate in the Kids Ride Free program, students must obtain a Kids Ride Free SmarTrip Card. If a student forgets or loses their Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card, they MUST pay the regular fare to ride Metrorail, Metrobus or DC Circulator until they find their card or obtain a replacement card.
Kids Ride Free Program Qualifications (Video)
In order to qualify for the School Transit Subsidy Program, students meet all three of the following qualifications:
- Be a resident of the District of Columbia; and
- Be age 5-21; and
- Be enrolled in an elementary or secondary public, private, charter or parochial school located within the District; or a “ward of DC” through the Foster Care System.
How can my student request a card?
Cards must be requested by the student by completing a KRF Card request form at the Security Desk. Requested cards are distributed during dismissal. For early dismissals, contact Ms. Moore@ 202-563-6862 ext 181.
Proper Use of the Kids Ride Free SmarTrip Card. Print Kids Ride Free Flyer
When issuing the Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card to the student, please remind them of the following program rules:
- The Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card is primarily for school and school-related activities.
- The Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card is ready to use when it is issued to the student.
- Students must tap the Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card on the faregate or farebox target every time they travel.
- Flashing the card to Metro or DC Circulator staff is never permitted.
- The SY SY2021-22 card will be valid through September 30, 2022.
What if my child loses their card?
Lost or stolen KRF Cards must be reported to the school as soon as possible to deactivate the old card and begin the process of requesting a new card.