What is a Charter School?
Charter schools are independently-operated public schools that have the freedom to design classrooms that meet their students’ needs. Charter schools aim to provide a range of options so that parents can choose the public school that best fits their child.
Application Process and Admissions Criteria
Thurgood Marshall Academy PCHS participates in the My School DC common application and common lottery. The MSDC application opens on December 14, 2020 and the application deadline is February 1, 2021. Families who place an application after the February 1 deadline are generally placed on a waiting list.
Thurgood Marshall Academy has set the following criteria for admission:
- Student must be entering either the 9th, 10th or 11th grade.
- Student must have completed the 8th grade or equivalent to enter the 9th grade, or meet all applicable transfer credit requirements to enter either the 10th or 11th grade.
- We do not accept applications from students who are 18 or older.
- Student and parent/guardian must live in the District of Columbia and provide specific documents to verify guardianship and residency.
- Student must submit a completed application for admission via MSDC and, if matched, complete all TMA enrollment forms
**Students entering 12th grade are open to apply to Thurgood Marshall Academy PCHS but are typically not admitted. Matched applicants are reviewed on a case-by-case basis if space is available.**